Effective User Stories Masterclass - one day workshop with Kathy Berkidge
In early April our special guest will be Kathy Berkidge from Australia. Her session about The Stakeholder Engagement Canvas on the last Balkan Business Analysis Conference is still fresh in our minds, but now the topic is Effective User Stories.
User stories are the cornerstone of agile requirements. Teams use them to plan and deliver solutions that meet their users’ needs. Beyond just solution requirements, user stories focus on value delivery from the perspective of the user, describing the capabilities needed, as well as the benefits they would provide.
This practical workshop will equip you with the tools you need to write effective user stories. You will learn how to create good user stories, from inception and writing acceptance criteria, through to elaborating the detail, just in time. The workshop will examine user types and how to deeply understand their needs to drive solution development. Beyond ‘who’, ‘what’ and ‘why’, you will learn how to use and manage user stories effectively to deliver maximum solution value.
- Understand user stories and why they are used by agile teams.
- Identify the elements of good user stories.
- Manage user stories through the story lifecycle.
- Learn techniques to identify, categorise and analyse user types.
- Recognise various factors that influence user story prioritisation.
- Write effective acceptance criteria.
- Elaborate user stories to enable efficient solution delivery.
- Perform backlog refinement to drive maximum value.
- Maintain a collaborative approach to working with user stories.
Session 1 : User Stories
- Agile delivery overview
- Defining User Stories
- Why use stories instead of regular specifications
- The User Story lifecycle
- A collaborative approach to value delivery
Session 2 : Identifying User Stories
- Creating a shared vision
- Understanding user types
- Identifying user segments and categories
- Applying personas to deeply understand users
Session 3 : Working with User Stories
- Progressive elaboration
- Understanding epics, features and stories
- Writing effective stories
- Understanding quality and acceptance criteria
- Prioritisation techniques
Session 4 : Delivering Value
- Using Story Maps to work with user stories
- Building a sensible backlog
- Elaborating stories and getting them ‘Ready’ for delivery
- Backlog refinement and managing change
- Feedback and continuous learning
Participants should be familiar with agile practices and delivery frameworks. An understanding of stakeholder or business requirements would be beneficial.
Who’s it for?
This course is for anyone who works with user requirements, as well as anyone involved in delivering solutions in an agile team. Typical participants include:
- Business Analysts
- Product Owners / Product Managers
- Project / Program Managers
- Scrum Masters / Iteration Managers
- Delivery Leads / Systems Analysts
|With a background in software development, Kathy is an agile BA professional with over 30 years of experience in IT. She provides business analysis and agile training and consulting services to many organisations in a variety of industries, as well as speaks internationally on topics relating to agile, mindset and business analysis. Kathy works with teams to improve teamwork, be more innovative and deliver better customer value. She is passionate about seeing people, teams and organisations thrive in an environment of collaboration and harmony.|
|Welcome and coffee||09:00 - 09:30|
|Session 1||09:30 - 11:00|
|Morning break||11:00 - 11:15|
|Session 2||11:15 - 13:00|
|Lunch||13:00 - 14:00|
|Session 3||14:00 - 15:15|
|Afternoon break||15:15 - 15:30|
|Session 4||15:30 - 17:30|
|Early bird* discount price||199 EUR|
|Early bird* discount price for IIBA members and PMI Bulgaria members||169 EUR|
|Regular price||249 EUR|
|Regular price for IIBA members and PMI Bulgaria members||219 EUR|
* Early bird sales ends on March 13th.
If you want to register more than 2 people, please contact us for additional discounts.
Registered participants will recieve pro-forma invoice and payment instructions.
Do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.